Friday, August 12, 2011

Done, and back home.

So today is 8 is Friday and I got to come home today. Surgery is over and everything went well as far as I can tell. I got to the Hospital early because I had to check in at 8 and the Atlas kids also had to be at school at 8. But that is OK.
After checking in, they told me to go to Surgery on the second story. I was called in, weighed in and got a bed for prepping. Had to completely undress and got a very beautiful paper gown to wear. :-) They checked my blood sugar (92) and my blood pressure. And then the nurse placed the IV catheter in my right wrist.
The doctor came in and talked to me for a little and then we were waiting for the anesthesiologist. He finally came and tried to pronounce my name.. I corrected the 'Eisa' to 'Osa' and then he looked at me, and said: That is a Swedish name! I said yes and he asked if I spoke any Swedish. After he heard me saying yes, he spoke to me in Swedish! Turns out he is LDS and served his mission in Sweden!! How cool is that. Now, it was apparently 30 years ago or so, but his Swedish was very good still!
He never served in Vasteras, but spent some time in Jonkoping.. Anyhow, after he spoke to me, I got rolled into the surgery room. And moved over to the surgery table. They started by giving me Propofol as they also stuck me in the back for the spinal block. Next thing I know is waking up
;-)
Waking up was a little traumatic, as my heart beat dropped to upper 30ies and that is not good. So the nurse called the Dr. and he prescribed some drug to help my heart along. It got better, but she had to give me two doses. At this point I had absolutely no pain.
After about an hour at Waking, they rolled me up to 5th floor and my room. Private room and I got to do what I wanted for a while, until my heart rate went down again. I had to have oxygen, and more meds. To kick it back into normal range. And this continued all night. Not until 10 pm did I feel any better, at that point they had checked my blood sugar, given me at least four different meds to reverse the spinal block and start my heart and I had vomited. When Dr. Miller and her son Michael came to visit I was so out of it I barely remember anything.
But I had awesome nurses, and the doctor came in a few times also. I have been advised to never have a spinal block again..
Through out the night, even after 10 pm, I had episodes of low oxygen, and low heart rate, and even today this morning I kept having to wear the oxygen mask and a heart monitor.
The next problem is that I could not void my bladder on my own, probably because of swelling, so I had to go home with a urinary catheter. Not what I wanted to do.. I have to keep it in until Mon. am and then go see the doctor so he can confirm I can empty my bladder as I should.
As far as pain though. Not to bad. I have back and shoulder pain from the gases they pumped into me. But at the surgery site there is only some mild tugging and only when I stand or walk. No worse than menstrual cramps. At least for now. I got sent home with percacet and Motrin 500mg. And antibiotics..
I have 6 small incisions on my stomach. They were glued shut, so no sutures.
So far I am very pleased with the results, and I have not even begun recovery yet.
They want me to walk around, as that will help expel the gases, and they would prefer that I sit instead of laying down in between walks.
I am hopeful to be able to return to work on Wednesday.
Rich took yesterday, today and Monday off to care for me. Monday because I have to go to the dr. for the catheter.
So, there you have it. My surgery story. I am now spayed! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment